Updated on May 5, 2015
Let’s face it, unless a child is taken to the store to pick out a gift for Mom for Mother’s Day, the only hope they have of giving a gift is to make it themselves. The following are gift ideas that children can make this Mother’s Day:
Mothers love cards from their children, especially if they’re handmade. It doesn’t matter if the card is a simple piece of paper folded and colored, as long as it’s from her child. Any mother will cherish it. There are places you can go online to find a Mother’s Day card template, but that won’t matter as much as a mother knowing that her child has spent the time and effort to create the card just for her.
Of course, she’ll want to display the card for some time after her day has passed. What better way to help her do that than by making a seashell magnet for her to post the card on the refrigerator. Make a couple so that she can hang several items at once. All it takes is a dad willing to help with the hot glue gun, a few seashells, some small pieces of ribbon or dried flowers, and some round magnets. Glue the magnets and ribbon onto the seashells and allow them to cool. Pack them in a small basket and they’re ready to give to Mom.
Moms enjoy displaying photos of their kids, so what could be better than finding a favorite photo and creating a home-made frame to place it in? Find a CD case and cut two pieces of scrapbook or construction paper large enough to fit snugly on the inside of the CD case. Carefully cut a shape out of the center of the square to place the photo. Decorate the paper before gluing the photo in place. Put each piece of paper into the case and cover the back of the photo to keep it from falling out. Glue the back of the paper into the case. You can also put decorations on the frame itself.
What mom wouldn’t love a coupon book for Mother’s Day? Write out coupons for “One free hug”, “Good for one foot massage”, “Control of the remote for one evening”, or “One undisturbed afternoon nap”. Your child can come up with ideas of their own. Make the coupons about 3” x 8 1/2” with a pretty cover and staple them together. This gift is meant to be returned, so don’t be surprised if she redeems them quickly.
Bookmarks are another item that most moms would probably enjoy. All this gift takes is some ribbon a little larger than a standard book, some fabric pens, and a little bit of patience. Personalize them and Mom will like them even more.
The ultimate home-made gift a child can give their mom, with help from Dad, is breakfast in bed complete with a flower in a vase. This gift may take a little more time than some of the other suggestions, but Mom is sure to love it and those that prepared it for making her feel so special.
The gifts a child can make for Mother’s Day are really limited by their own imagination, creativity, and ability. Having Dad or an older sibling help will ensure the younger child is being safe during the creation process. Whatever your child chooses to make and give, as long as it is made with love, it’s sure to be a big hit.
Thanks to Elizabeth/Table4Five on Flickr for use of the image
Updated on August 27, 2009
Barbecuing on Labor Day
By Kaliyath Achutha Kumar
Labor Day is a much awaited occasion in United States which is greeted by all sections of society with true and un-parallel enthusiasm and is declared as a federal holiday. A holiday is a holy day’ and of course it should be celebrated! As a part of the celebrations ‘barbecuing on Labor Day’ has become much popular. The day which was originally meant for commemorating the rights of the working class is now seen as a customary farewell given to summer season and is observed during the first Monday of September every year. This emblematic farewell has truly become a conventional rejoicing day throughout United States. This year’s exciting occasion comes on the seventh of September and many people add quality and charm to that auspicious day by arranging a ‘barbecuing on Labor Day’.
Barbecuing is really a treat by itself and ‘barbecuing on Labor Day’ will generate much more happiness because of the prevailing holiday mood! The whole atmosphere will be saturated with holiday vibrations and everywhere you will see the richness of excitement. Waves of the festive vibes will be having an upbeat mood creating a lively jubilation all round the place. People will be busy in arranging their own ways of celebrations and this creates a bubbly nature throughout the nation. ‘Barbecuing on Labor Day’ amidst this euphoria will generate tons of pleasure for you!
Summer will be fading away soon and the season’s last moments should be enjoyed in all possible ways! This kind of a ‘mind-set’ adds much glory to ‘barbecuing on Labor Day’! You can prefer outdoor table settings as it is still summer outside! Don’t go after extravagant decorative items but take care to give the area an appearance which suits the prevailing festive mood! If you can use paper plates it will be gainful and at the same time convenient also. You can find colored plates with matching cups, napkins and other accessories at every store. Another novel feature of the modern celebrations is the usage of ‘bogus leaves’ and ‘bogus ice-cubes’ which will be scattered around the table and the surrounding places. This symbolizes the fall of summer and arrival of winter and is an eloquent way of expression by which you can beautify ‘barbecuing on Labor Day’!
While arranging the decorations for the ‘barbecuing on Labor Day’ the whole area should be considered; not just the main area! You will have to give an alluring look to the entire place where you are conducting ‘barbecuing’. For example, if you have got some extra space after doing the table arrangement then you can ornament that part also with some fine decoration thereby making the whole area really polished! As the ‘barbecuing on Labor Day’ is conducted outdoors, decorate your balustrade in case if you have one, with some phony leaves and colorful lightings which certainly will add more charm to the whole setting! By managing these kinds of trifle looking matters in an intelligent way, you can really convert the entire scene of the ‘barbecuing on Labor Day’ into a lively spot! Now grab a special ‘barbecue recipe’ and go in a grand way! The net result will be a thrilling holiday, which will leave sweet remembrances in the hearts and souls of all the participants!
Kaliyath Achutha Kumar is a freelance article writer and has written a good number of articles including hundreds of travel related articles. He has recently started a blog on Kerala holidays: http://keralholidays.blogspot.com/.
- Related Blogs on barbecuing on labor day labor day barbecuing
- How To Plan A Knockout Labor Day Menu | Chew On That
- getaroom.com Labor Day Travel Tips | Hotels – Cheap Hotel Rates …
- vacation from vacation « This Is Jasmine
- Menu Monday – Let’s barbecue!
- Labor Day, socialist holiday, approaches! « Ancavge
Updated on July 4, 2008
A Happy 4th of July to all the US readers of the Entertaining Tonight blog. Especially for you I have a July 4th recipe:
Stars and Stripes Muffins
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup frozen strawberries
4 teaspoons sugar
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 muffin tin cups or use baking cups.
Place the flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Mix a little to combine the ingredients. and make a well in the center of the ingredients.
In a separate bowl mix the milk, oil and eggs together. Slowly add the mixture to the dry ingredients by placing the liquid into the well made in the dry ingredients. Carefully fold together until the dry ingredients are just moistened through.
Divide the batter into two bowls. Add the blueberries to one and the strawberries to the other. Mix them in well.
Fill each muffin or baking cup with batter: six blueberry muffins and six strawberry muffins. Sprinkle the tops with the 4 teaspoons of sugar.
Bake for 23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. The tops should be light brown. Remove from the tin immediately and cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy your day!
Updated on May 4, 2015
5 Fun Cinco de Mayo Games
Celebrations of Cinco de Mayo are all about the number five. Food comes in fives, fives are incorporated into the decorations, and now here are five fun Cinco de Mayo party games to help make your next celebration a success.
1. Forget Pin the Tail on the Donkey: Honor the man who led the Mexicans to the famous victory that sparked the Cinco de Mayo holiday. Pin the medal on Benito Juarez. You can add to the fun by making one person at the party the hero, but don’t tell anyone who it is. Guests can ask each other questions to try and determine who they should pin the medal on in order to win a prize.
2. Take musical chairs to a whole new level. Clear a room of furniture and place one chair for each of your guests around the room up against the wall. Place an equal number of sombreros in the center of the floor and let your guests dance round them to the traditional tune of the Mexican Hat Dance. When the music stops, everyone must grab a sombrero, put it on their head and find a seat. After one trial run, start removing a chair and a sombrero on each round. The last guest standing gets a prize (or his or her choice of sombrero).
3. Watch what you say. As each guest arrives, pin a festive pin on their collar. The object of the game is NOT to say Cinco or five during the course of the night. If someone gets caught saying one of those words, they must surrender the pin to the person that catches them. At the end of the night, the person with the most pins is declared the winner. You can offer them a prize or just let them keep the spoils of the game.
4. Piñatas may seem like kids stuff, but it all depends on what you stuff the piñata with. Get some small and inexpensive prizes to fill your piñata and let your adult guests take turns swinging at it. You can handicap the men (or everyone if you think it more sensible) by blindfolding them AND tying their writing hand behind their backs. It’s also fun to have someone controlling the height of the piñata (by moving it up and down with a pulley system). Be sure there is plenty of room for guests to swing the stick and not hit anyone else or damage any ornaments or furniture – this could get out-of-hand!
5. Build a better taco. Pair up your guests and ask one of the pair to stand behind the other. Blindfold the guest that is behind so that they can’t peak. Now the person in front needs to put their hands behind their back and the person behind needs to weave his hands through the first guest so that their arms become the arms of the guest in front. At the word go, the partnership must build and eat one taco. The winning team gets a great prize.
The key to a great Cinco de Mayo celebration is to offer lots of variety, great food and games, and to have fun yourself.
Updated on May 4, 2015
Great Cinco de Mayo Party Ideas
Throwing a party for Cinco de Mayo needs only a few elements to make it great – fun and food. If you can get these two things then the people will come (and will be glad they did). With just a little time and energy, and these Cinco de Mayo party ideas you will be able to plan the perfect Cinco de Mayo party for you and your friends.
Most adults are kids at heart; they like good, fun party games as much as the next person. Take a few of the children’s party games that you enjoyed as children and give them a twist to make them a bit more grown up and more along the Cinco de Mayo theme.
Hold a treasure hunt with five being the theme. Create clues that are related to the holiday and its history. Buy or create a gift basket filled with five different items that will go to the first person who discovers the treasure.
Play the safety pin game: Give a safety pin to your guests as they arrive. If they hear someone say the words five or Cinco then they can claim that person’s pin (or pins if that person has accumulated more). The person with the most pins at the end of the party wins a prize (that goes along with the five theme, of course).
Games won’t keep them occupied all the time. Food is important to the success of any party. Be sure to include all the favorite traditional American-Mexican foods – tacos, tortillas, avocados and nachos. It would also be a good idea to include more authentic Mexican food, but try to keep the dishes limited to things that can be eaten easily while people are walking around mingling (unless you are planning a full, sit-down dinner).
A fun and different idea for your Cinco de Mayo party is to have dance lessons. You could choose Mexican folk dancing (be sure to have some inexpensive skirts and hats for the participants to wear) or try a more modern Latin-American style dance like the cha-cha or merengue (which is actually a fairly easy dance to master). It would also be entertaining to have the dance instructors put on an exhibition dance for you and the guests. Be sure that there is plenty of room if you are planning to make dancing an important aspect of the party.
Throwing a great Cinco de Mayo party is just like throwing a great party any other time of the year. You need to take time to plan the gathering, be sure there is plenty of food, and arrange suitable fun entertainment for the guests.
Thanks to Tony/gamelaner on Flikr for use of the photo